Nobody likes a pusher of any kind, but it’s still amazing how many people go to networking events and push their business cards at others. Sometimes before they’ve even said a word, they use it like a handshake as their meeting you!
To be an effective networker there’s really some key things you can do so the person you’re talking with feels heard and should reciprocate based on your actions.
- Always make eye contact, there’s nothing that is more clear that you aren’t interested in what the person you’re talking to has to say then darting eyes. Give them your full attention, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
- Listen and find some key things to ask questions about, this will truly give the impression that you’re listening. Offer examples of your own without dominating the conversation that shows you can relate to what they’re talking about.
- Ask questions and not just the “what do you do?” questions, ask if they’re originally from the area or if they’ve attended this particular event or other events by this host before. Find something that will lead into “so, what do you do?” more naturally.
- Giving back to your community
- Supporting local businesses
- Successful event secrets